Theme Select

Search

Advanced Search

From Repman to Neutron Delta

Started by Slayer23, April 30, 2018, 04:23:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slayer23

So here is the new project
Some of you may remember franken printer it is because of being given this i have become somewhat addicted to the joy and pitfalls of printing!!!
Or as i like to think of it just another way to ruin my marriage.
well after many many hours of sitting in the living room tinkering with the rapman i finally got it to print a 20mm test cube which was no where near 20mm on any plane
and i spotted a anycubic on fleabay for 100 quid so thought well in for a penny in for a pound i can get this and print the parts i need to get the franken printer up and running. The little Delta printer arrived and the seller did warn me it was not working and he had not een able to produce a decent print from this printer so the challenge was on I rebuilt it and started to try to figure out what was wrong with it, With lots of help from the chat room guys it really is worth popping in and saying hi if you have never been in there it can be quite a laugh, well i digress after several hours of messing with this setting and that setting it was finally discovered that the motors were wired XZY and that would never have worked. After correcting this minor cock up i set to print the test cube and it was a thing of sheer beauty yes it was not perfect but it was near as damn it.
Ok so rapman went to the sidelines and she who must be obeywed has finally lost it and told me it has to go so it got me thinking there are a lot of these printers out there in garages and classrooms and dusty old storerooms there is one on fleabay as i type this for £30 so i got to thinking why waste all that is there some of it at least must be salvageable.
Then i discovered
Neutron - Open Source 3D Printer
by layerone, published Mar 7, 2017
ok the bits from the rapman may not be the exact bits that are called for in this design but I was sure I could build it using just what was there or if not by buying the cheapest I could source to keep this build as low as possible.
Asi had already purchased a clone E3d head for the rapman for some £6 and a Ramps !.4 for £25 these would have to be figured in to the final costing but I am going to try to spend as little as possible to get a working printer.
so the journey begins.
Today I printed one of the slider carriages to see if it would work with the 12mm linear bearings I had on the rapman well this presented the first hurdle most projects now use the LM12UU Bearing which is ever so slightly different to the one used in the rapman which is a kh1228/p/pp there are 2 differeces in this bearing that affect its use in this project firstly its outside diameter is 19mm where the LM is 20mm so the fitting on the slide is way to big who ever would have thought that 1mm could make that much difference ?
After looking up the price of the LM12UU ok they are only £2 each but still that is £6 I did not want to spend when I had perfectly good bearings sitting here.
So after some messing in tinker cad i managed to make myself a sleve that the bearing would fit into and then the whole assembly would then fit into the slider carriage this seemed to work perfectly but then i realised another small issiue and that was the sliders were designed to use lead screws with the brass threaded washer type affair with 4 screw holes so i have decided to redesign the carriage to accept the screw threads that are on the rapman and whilst i do this i will resize the hole to accept the bearings i have saving having to print so many parts. stand by for the next exciting installment lol

Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
oh did you want to hit that tree
shoulda let me have a go Mr I wouldn't have let it go that far I cant see it past 30m
bet you wish you had let me have a go no Mr
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

Hozza

Definitely interested in how your project is going to evolve, looking forward to lots of photos :smiley:
Makibox (sold)
i3 custom build (sold)
Smartcore (sold)
Kossel XL Duet3D based, with Flex3drive (working)
HEVO Hybrid (worlds slowest build)
Kossel Mini Duet3D based, with Flex3drive (working)
Geeetech A10M (Still in Box)

Slayer23

Decided to start a little blog outlining my drop into insanity errrrm I mean my experiences in 3d printing
it is at my new web address I think it is apt
www.if-only-i-knew.uk
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
oh did you want to hit that tree
shoulda let me have a go Mr I wouldn't have let it go that far I cant see it past 30m
bet you wish you had let me have a go no Mr
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

Hozza

Makibox (sold)
i3 custom build (sold)
Smartcore (sold)
Kossel XL Duet3D based, with Flex3drive (working)
HEVO Hybrid (worlds slowest build)
Kossel Mini Duet3D based, with Flex3drive (working)
Geeetech A10M (Still in Box)

SMF Gallery Random Image