Sunday,August 18, 2019, 20:41:31

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome to Printing 3d. Please login or sign up.

Sunday,August 18, 2019, 20:41:31

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
24 Jun 2019 13:02:10
Is discord playing up
Gaza07:
02 Jun 2019 10:29:04
we are back after a bad server crash
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 22:35:04
All OK now, looks like it was TalkTalk DNS servers
Bad Raven:
17 May 2019 18:06:19
Running ok here, try typing the url in stopping at the .uk
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 16:17:12
hmmm it should be fully prepegated now have you cleared your cache ? also make sure the link your using has no extra bits at the end like redirections.
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 15:36:41
mruk still saying 'Changing hosts we will be back soon !!!!'  for me?
Fingers crossed it runs sweet. Cheers
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 12:50:37
It moved yesterday afternoon just need to see how it runs and decide if its gonna stay there, I really dont want to move it again  :rolleyes:
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 11:28:52
Good luck for the mruk move.
Bad Raven:
16 May 2019 18:00:47
Cleared it.
Bad Raven:
16 May 2019 17:59:03
First try always:  Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

2nd try loads OK.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1679
  • Total Topics: 176
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 169
  • (Tuesday,October 30, 2018, 10:03:43 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Prusa i3 Mk3

Started by Bad Raven, Monday,June 04, 2018, 07:42:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Raven

No build log here, just a few comments along the way of building mine.

As I write, the mechanics are completed (Well, I think, apart from the stupid "afterthought" feet which will be changed!!) and awaiting a start on the electrics/electronics, possibly tonight.

Overall impression so far is quite good, and the manual and online manual/instructions with comments from builders has been very helpful.

I went wrong at one point due to my own stupidity and a less than clear picture, fairly quickly realised, and corrected.

Two extant "issues" so far:-

1. One of the extruder cover screws will not tighten as its hole was oversize (needs correction but TBH is unlikely to cause anything if left).  Many fixings have captive nuts, some square, some hex, but some have machine screws being used as self tappers into plastic, not actually correct engineering practice.

2. The idea of placing a nylon support filament into the wiring loom from the extruder as strain relief is OK, but their push in, friction only method of holding it at the extruder end is frankly rubbish, made worse by the fact that the nylon supplied to me is around 1.5mm larger than the hole, so will NOT fit.   :banghead:  Really quite a bad drop off, I assume that nobody checked the filament properly on supply.

As you only reach this point once the extruder body is assembled, its not obvious then if you have the space around the hole to open it up. Lots of negative comment here from builders, and rightly so. Small issue but big frustration.

Apart from that and considering that all the plastic parts are 3D printed on Prusa printers, its quite an accurate set of parts and so far so good.

HobbyKing Fabrikator II Mini, 100x100x100. (a Malyan printer re-badged) - Modded with magnetic Flex Bed

Original Prusa i3 Mk3 (All Black)

Bad Raven

Installing the electrics/electronics seemed to go OK, though the manual photos are not good enough quality in several places to give confidence.  However, the online Prusa manual (and user comments) were considerably clearer and enabled a first time powered up working unit.

Calibration via the wizard failed on X axis a couple of times stating Loose Pulley/Motor, but a careful check of when it occurred made it look like the extruder fan cabling was minimally above the routing guide bars, so a quick re-position and it then ran all the way through.

First calibration lines printed were way too high so poor adhesion, but corrected by dialling "Z" more negative by 1.15mm or slightly more than Joe Prusa's video shows. First time I backed out of going THAT far, but it did need that much.

As I was writing this the first test print from the SD card has completed (the PRUSA Logo) successfully.

So far, so good.

HobbyKing Fabrikator II Mini, 100x100x100. (a Malyan printer re-badged) - Modded with magnetic Flex Bed

Gaza07

Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

Multi-Rotor UK  YouTube  Thingiverse  3d-Printworx

Hozza

Quote from: Gaza07 on Monday,June 04, 2018, 19:07:51
No Pics  :shrug:

It's an i3  :laugh:

But seriously it would be good to see it...
Makibox (sold)
i3 custom build (sold)
Smartcore (sold)
Kossel XL Duet3D based, with Flex3drive (working)
HEVO Hybrid (worlds slowest build)
Kossel Mini Duet3D based, with Flex3drive (working)
Geeetech A10M (Still in Box)

Bad Raven

You really want me to take a pic of something that the internet is already saturated with pics and videos of?   :shrug:

NO!!   :tongue:   :rofl:

It's an all black one, BTW, none of that "So 2017" orange.................  :whistling:

I'm just contemplating how I'm going to:-

1. Fit LED/COB Lighting to show object on bed while in use.
2. Fit WiFi via RasberryPi (as I have one kicking around)

Just printed the Prusa "Marvin" test piece.

Impressions (not that they differ from others experience!!)

1. Ruddy Quiet!

2. That magnetic removable flex bed plate has immediately spoiled me rotten and I now am wondering how the hell I can gain similar on the Fab II Mini.  I have a good number of tiny super power magnets............................   :hmm:

If not flying in the morning I shall be punishing it with a more difficult test.

Gaza07

Well yea I do I think its nice to put a picture to your words so we can also see, ok its an I3 maybe the same as others but this one is yours and to be honest I'm not that familiar with the I3 as others might be, Ive only ever built and used delta's  ~~  :beer2:
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

Multi-Rotor UK  YouTube  Thingiverse  3d-Printworx

shawdreamer

Quote from: Bad Raven on Monday,June 04, 2018, 22:09:18

2. That magnetic removable flex bed plate has immediately spoiled me rotten and I now am wondering how the hell I can gain similar on the Fab II Mini.  I have a good number of tiny super power magnets............................   :hmm:

its pretty easy actually

just swap your print bed for a SS laser cut 2mm thick plate using a silicone heatpad beneath,

get some good quality magnetic sheet (the same stuff they use for magnetic "L" plates and put a layer of whatever print surface you prefer on it. presto change-o

1. 2mm thick SS plate (I generally print direct onto Kapton hence why its coated)

2. A4 magnetic sheet

3. stick it to the back of your chosen print surface (this case printbite for when I use flexi)

4. TADA

works a treat and allows my to print at speed between jobs (no waiting for cool down/heat-up), also handy for flexing off the awkward prints on the printbite, My 2mm SS is also magnetically held in place which is why I can lift it clean off the silicone pad and swap that round too.
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Bad Raven

Thanks for that, what was causing me pause was the small 100x100 bed size of the Fab II Mini making things more rigid per thickness.

AND to be honest the thought of going through the nasty bed levelling process again!!

It would though give me the opportunity to get rid of the four nasty dome head allens used and use hex heads so a tiny ratchet socket unit or flat spanner could be used, much easier to access and prevent slip.

Had not considered magnetic sheet..........................   :hmm: :hmm:

Bad Raven

OK, back to the Mk3 (Kit built).

In the recent marathon 29 hour plus print, a "click" started, difficult to place but I thought around the extruder.

Today while watching batteries charge ( :sleep:) I have found the issue.

Wrong Again.  One of the three bed slide bearings was moving back and fore in its 3d printed housing as the retaining U loop had loosened its grip on it.

A quick "pit stop" print pause and spanner turn (the hardest part being stopping it coming off the nut due to the magnetic bed above!!) and we are away blissfully quiet again on its current 15 hour print.   ~~

Bad Raven

Firmware update done today. Some minor changes which actually make it much nicer to operate, well done, Prusa. 

The new software/firmware team recently employed are beginning to make their mark!