(October 30, 2018, 10:03:43 am)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3

Theme Select

Search

Advanced Search

Changed to glass bed and prints not sticking to centre?

Started by ched999uk, January 04, 2019, 08:06:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ched999uk

So using my ender3 with the standard flexi bed surface was fine. I levelled it with paper and all good. The prints were a bit difficult to remove so I thought I would use the creality glass bed the printer included.
So fitted the glass, levelled with paper and all seemed fine.
I have tried printing and it seems to keep lifting/gets caught on nozzle if the print is in the middle. If I print away from the centre its all good.

Does this suggest that the centre of the glass has a dip? Or do I just need to tweek the glass bed up fractionally?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

ched999uk

Went back to creality flexi bed and relevelled and all is well. So it's an adhesion issue. I will get some isopropyl and clean the glass and give it another go.

I assume I dont need to tweek bed temp for using glass?

shawdreamer

glass (Borosilicate or other) isnt by nature a good heat transmitter though it does disperse it quite evenly (the glass on the front of your oven door is borosilicate for example so you can imagine how dangerous itd be if it got as hot as the inside of your oven every time you turned it on :laugh:)

generally people use glass beds for the absolute flatness they offer (though Ive seen warped ones before :rolleyes:) and typically you often have to up your bed temp settings by anything upto 20c depending on the thickness and quality of the glass, its worth noting though that glass by itself with no additional surface prep doesnt really offer a good adhesion for most materials.

I rarely if ever use glass myself and even on those occasions I either coat it in a even layer of strong hair spray (you can get butter to stick to the bed with a good bit of loreal firm hold :laugh:) or a more simpler, cheaper and remarkably effective method is a document laminating sheet (like the ones you can buy at any stationary shop etc), you simply cut out a piece of the sheet to the size of your glass, lay it on it, then ramp up the temp till the laminates glue surface go's off, then smooth out any bubbles and your good to go....Barring Kapton tape Ive not found anything as effective for use across multiple filament types.
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

ched999uk

Cheers for the advice, it's very helpful.
Might have another play with the glass with higher temps.

Bad Raven

A while back I bought a thermal measurement "gun" with laser targetting, really cheap from Banggood.  While actually bought for matching fish tank water changes, it has proved useful for temp checks on quad components, house insulation, etc.

I have used it a number of times to check bed temperatures on both my 3D printers.  It check matches closely against a number of other temp indicators, fish tank submerged and LCD strip, fridge and freezer, so I am reasonably confident it reads correctly.

This has shown up that my policy of allowing preheat to run for a while before attempting a print is helping to ensure an even bed temperature at all points.

I have though been a little surprised how the Prusa i3 Mk3 bed is NOT at the temp indicated on the LCD panel, there is always a significant difference, the actual being lower than indicated.

While items print fine, and bed adhesion is normally not an issue at this lower temp, out of curiosity I set the printer up a number of times so the actual was what is stated as the mid of the temp range for that filament.  And the results were poor, with stringing and even bed shift evident.

Cross checking reaffirmed the gun is accurate.  I know what works and am able to check easily, so have not gone any further.

The Fab II Mini seems to set bed temp much closer to that stated by Repetier, with good correlation, and its noticeable that display bed and extruder temps are always roughly 5-10 degrees lower than the i3 Mk3 displays on its screen.

If you do not have one, one of these guns would therefore be a useful way to see bed temp at spots to check evenness and alignment to that shown by the display so an offset can be used with confidence.
HobbyKing Fabrikator II Mini, 100x100x100. (a Malyan printer re-badged) - Modded with magnetic Flex Bed

Original Prusa i3 Mk3 (All Black)

ched999uk

Bad Raven that is a great bit of info.
I was just thinking the other day that I could do with one as we have a couple of 'damp' issues and it would be good to see if it's condensation due to cold spots or something worse.
So checking bed temps is a good secondary use  ::)
Nice to know the cheapy laser temp 'guns' work reasonably.
Thanks.

Bad Raven

This is the one I have :-

https://www.banggood.com/GM550E-Digital-IR-Non-Contact-Laser-LCD-Infrared-Thermometer-Temperature-Meter-Gun-p-1111798.html

Had it two years, used more than once weekly on tanks, prob overall 3/4 times a week in all.

(It was only £9 then!!)
HobbyKing Fabrikator II Mini, 100x100x100. (a Malyan printer re-badged) - Modded with magnetic Flex Bed

ched999uk

Quote from: Bad Raven on January 06, 2019, 07:22:44 pm

https://www.banggood.com/GM550E-Digital-IR-Non-Contact-Laser-LCD-Infrared-Thermometer-Temperature-Meter-Gun-p-1111798.html

Had it two years, used more than once weekly on tanks, prob overall 3/4 times a week in all.

(It was only £9 then!!)

Cheers. Looks good.
Tanks? water or Army?

Bad Raven

Quote from: ched999uk on January 06, 2019, 07:29:49 pm

(It was only £9 then!!)

Cheers. Looks good.
Tanks? water or Army?

My post of January 06, 2019, 07:19:36 AM refers.  :smiley:

ched999uk

Quote from: Bad Raven on January 08, 2019, 07:49:26 am

(It was only £9 then!!)

Cheers. Looks good.
Tanks? water or Army?

You did sorry.  Fishy ones   ::)

Bad Raven

Quote from: ched999uk on January 08, 2019, 05:13:22 pm
Quote from: Bad Raven on January 08, 2019, 07:49:26 am

(It was only £9 then!!)

Cheers. Looks good.
Tanks? water or Army?

You did sorry.  Fishy ones   ::)

Well, and Shrimpy ones!  ::)

SMF Gallery Random Image