Total: 3

Theme Select

Search

Advanced Search

Slicer/Cura Vagaries

Started by Bad Raven, January 31, 2019, 08:09:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Raven

I have come across a range of files on Thingiverse that currently I am unable to print as they will not slice correctly.

Slicer shows some minor lost points causing triangular artefacts inside the object. (It is also stating it is correcting thousands of errors, too)

When printed on the i3 Mk3 all sorts of errors appear, internal angled planes, more than shown, solid parts where there should be holes surrounded by holes where there should be solid, etc.

Cura appears to slice OK with no error report and visually OK, but despite being set to i3 and PLA, insists on trying to start print with a bed temp of 40 and an extruder temp of 0 in the settings side and an actual not yet at the right level, starting while it is still heating up. If this is overwritten by manual tuning at the printer, it starts print at the manual settings, but does no bed level check, nor any pre-stripe (OK, its set for a generic i3), but then starts the print off with much greater filament extrusion rate so larger cross section than usual and extremely poor bed adhesion (despite now being manually set to and at the right temp for the filament).

Taking the visually correct and supposedly error corrected file out of Cura and into Slicer still shows the errors that were there before when direct to Slicer.

Not something maybe to spend much more time over, but it staggers me how a relatively simple model (it is a box shaped pitch roof "house" with holes for windows and doors, nothing at all exotic, can be so comprehensively screwed up by Slicer programs!

I got the guy to re-upload a second version of one file he'd checked sliced and printed. Still thousands of errors "corrected" and an unusable result in Slic3rPE.

Have only had similar once before, one which I could not resolve.

I'm now as I write trying from the original file posted using Repetier Host (which is using Cura) without ANY error correction before or notified and so far it appears to be printing it OK on the Fab II Mini, it certainly showed no artefacts on loading the file in. It has got way above the level where errors showed, and so far no problem.

SO, why is SlicerPE, Slic3r AND Cura when used standalone creating so many "errors" and solving things that are not there, when good old Repetier with its Cura version just plods away and does the job??   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
HobbyKing Fabrikator II Mini, 100x100x100. (a Malyan printer re-badged) - Modded with magnetic Flex Bed

Original Prusa i3 Mk3 (All Black)

Bad Raven

And have now printed four more of the range.

All proving impossible so far on the Prusa as all slicers tried with it corrupt the files (or fail to correct errors).  At the same time it prints other files perfectly, so of the many tried recently, these are the only failures.

All have printed perfectly well via Repetier Host on the Fab II Mini.

Have never attempted to set up Repetier for the Prusa, partly as I don't want to risk screwing up the setup I have for the Fab II Mini which just works, reliably.
HobbyKing Fabrikator II Mini, 100x100x100. (a Malyan printer re-badged) - Modded with magnetic Flex Bed

Original Prusa i3 Mk3 (All Black)

Gaza07

I split a print to convert it for dual colour and Cura saw no problem with it but, slic3rPE said each part had 1000s of errors and fixed them the print didnt look any different  :shrug:
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk
https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about

SMF Gallery Random Image