Total: 1

Theme Select

Search

Advanced Search

Best Design Package For A Noob

Started by Gaza07, November 11, 2017, 08:47:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaza07

I'm wondering what would be the best design package for a total noob be, I fancy ago at designing some thing, I would also like to try and print some tubes with an external diameter of 10mm and an inside diameter of 6mm these could possibly be used as adaptors for the magnetic rod ends for my new project  ~~
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk
https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about

shawdreamer

for a complete noob designer Id suggest nothing but Tinkercad.

Its a very user freindly UI setup which is ideal for a budding designer just starting out, while its still more than usable right upto intermediate levels of designing.

beyond that there's more advanced stuff like Autodesk etc but just jumping straight into them can be pretty daunting for a noob wanting to just start off with simple designs.

the only downside to Tinkercad (well more of a pro & con at the sametime) is its purely browser based so when their servers get overloaded it can become a chore waiting for more complicated designs to load up (when I say complicated I mean multiple layered designs, smaller simple ones load instantly), at the sametime it also means you can access your account and work on your designs from anywhere with a internet connection which I personally find useful if out in the field/at work when I have a design idea or modification idea and want to give it form before it pops straight back out my head.
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

3DRev

If you really are after the most basic of packages to get you started, up until a few months ago, I would have strongly recommended AutoDesk 123D Design. Unfortunately, that has now been pulled and is no longer available to download.

With the absence of that, you have a bit of a decision to make. Whilst I know right now you're looking for some software just to get you started, the chances are, eventually you're going to want something more capable, and as most modelling software for our purposes seems to work in quite different ways (or at least with drastically different GUI's), I'd suggest it would be much easier to pick the end game package now and just start off with the basics on that, rather than have to re-learn a completely new software when you decide to upgrade.

With that in mind, I would suggest checking out AutoDesk Fusion 360. They brought this in when they killed off 123D Design, but instead of being a very basic shape builder, this is a full blown CAD package with material attributes, mechanical simulation, stress testing, and so much more.

The beauty is, to do simple things is still fairly simple. Just a couple of YouTube videos and you'll be well on your way to designing parts for your printer and multi's. Then, when you need them, the more advanced tools are ready and waiting.

Now here's the really cool thing about Fusion 360, it is a full blown professional package, and the price reflects that. However, if you earn less than £100k a year from it's use, it's completely free. You simply install the demo then register it as a personal user and it's free!
3D Printing Tips, Tutorials and News on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/c/3DRevolution

[Props-To-You on Multi-Rotor.co.uk]

Gaza07

Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk
https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about

Sweet Pickle

Old post but if anyone looks in the advice will still be the same.
I entered into design at entry level. Started using SketchUp. It was really easy but totally useless for 3d printing. Moved on to Designspark mechanical. Love it to death and is really easy to use. Not so intuitive to dimension but powerful and quick.
I've just moved up a notch to Fusion360, steeper learning curve but having a good background from the other 2 it's coming along nicely.
If I was to start again I'd probably go in deep and start with fusion. I have no regrets but it feels like I could have been a lot further along if I hadn't been playing with the other packages.

SMF Gallery Random Image