Total: 7

Theme Select

Search

Advanced Search

HELLLLLP been given a Rapman - Repman 3.1 all there but need help

Started by Slayer23, March 13, 2018, 12:14:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slayer23

Ok so a friend ( At least he was until he gave me this headache) has given me his old 3d printer :D
now all I need to do is get it working lol all the controls work but I need to obtain a new drive gear for the Z axis this is available from thingiverse so no big deal there
however I have to try to figure out the extruder and hot end I thought there was a load of plastic stuck to it but when I final removed it I found out it was not it is almost like stone and there are wires in it so now I guess I must have kinda damaged that.
Spares for this machine seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo so I guess I will have to replace the extruder so my questions are is it worth the bother ???
The machine may be old and long in the tooth but it has sat doing nothing for 4 years seems a waste to send it to the parts pile and as it has all the axis working x y and z surely it wouldn't be to hard to fix up
So come on guys looking for help I only want to use it to print a MPCNC then I do not mind what happens doing it myself must be cheaper than getting all the parts printed surely
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
oh did you want to hit that tree
shoulda let me have a go Mr I wouldn't have let it go that far I cant see it past 30m
bet you wish you had let me have a go no Mr
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

Gaza07

Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk
https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about

shawdreamer

they use one of the old style extended throat extruders iirc, very few modern printers would even entertain one of those extruders so finding even a close approximation would be difficult nowadays.

you'd probably have more joy simply swapping out to a e3d which is the modern equivalent, course that'll mean youll need to build a adapter to do so which (catch 22) means you'll need a printer to make the parts.... sods law and also the reason I keep a minimum of two printers running at any given time. :laugh:
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Slayer23

LMAO this is always my luck if life was simple I would be so happy lmao

Sorry image is not all that clear
I think it is going to be a print head conversion and controller change by the looks of it
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
shoulda let me have a go Mr I wouldn't have let it go that far I cant see it past 30m
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

shawdreamer

pretty sure Ive seen one converted to an e3d/j-head just by whipping out the existing stock extruder and slotting the e3d in through the hole with a top securing plate, unsure of what other hardware was changed though.

but given that its a old pretty much obsolete printer you can go with the low cost revamp route.

they were never considered very capable printers to start with (they struggled with ABS) but you can get a decent print out of any printer aslong as you put some careful time into it so you may get a half decent PLA workhorse out of it.

aslong as the wiring harness and steppers are in decent enough shape then swap out the stock extruder as mentioned and go with a cheap controller kit like a Ramps 1.4 and Arduino 2560 kit, you can pick them up with lcd and stepper drivers for under 30 notes if you order from china land, that and an old atx psu should be all you need to get it functional and reasonably capable.

Slayer23

The printer was only used for a couple of months to prototype a few bits and was pretty good on pla by all accounts
The motors are in excellent nick as you can imagine with so little use and everything works apart from the broken z drive cog and the hot end
All I want it to do as I said is to print parts for a MPCNC and after that well I may even be nice to it and use the motors and bits to finish the cnc lol
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

shawdreamer

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:788968

similar e3d conversion to what I saw and the thingie poster also used a ramp 1.4 setup to make it all work, quick look also shows that the rapmans gears are quite well supported design wise so you might be in luck, you could print out/have printed the conversion parts and gears you need then you just need to ramps it and youd be ready to go.

Slayer23

looks like what I will have to do is get the z gear replaced
re wind the heater element of the hot head
print the conversion I only want 1 head so I will see if I can find that
re configure the printer to use Ramps
print what I need and cannibalise the printer for its hardware when completed lol
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

Slayer23

Ok been a little busy this weekend managed to get a Chinese E3D rip off for £6 a mk 8 rip off extruder for £7.50 and the Ramps 1.4 complete for £25 all delivered free the next day add to this a bit of tubing for £3 so for just over £40 I have all the bits I need. Spent yesterday stripping and cleaning the rapman squared up all the sides got a cog printed and set to trying to fit print head to get me started. No idea if it will work but have nothing to lose see pics of head conversion and see what you think
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

Gaza07

Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk
https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about

Slayer23

Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

Slayer23

Well first printed gear was not up to the job :(  have tried using some gorilla glue to fix do not think the print had enough integrity so the glue may help
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

Slayer23

ok I am going to just throw this one out there lol
I am trying to revive this repman printer but the drive gear I had printed did not seem to have enough structural strength and just seems to have sheared inside so plan B is there is this on Amazon "6mm Bore 11mm Wide Belt 20 Teeth Aluminum Alloy Screwed Timing Pulley " all the siszes appear to be the same as the printed part apart from tooth count original 22 this one 20 what kind of difference will this make and would I be able to compensate for any difference using the software ? Otherwise it is going to be a complete rethink or try to find a stronger print of the gear
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

shawdreamer

could you post up the stl of the gear you tried to use?

Ill take a look at the design and see if I can rework it.

Slayer23

there are 2 types the friction fit which is the one he printed I an experimenting with it and some gorilla glue at min to see if it will expand into the fractures and reinforce them.
The other is a grub screw type this would probably work if I borrow one of the grub screws from one of the corners.
I am on the verge of hitting the whole thing with a vey large hammer lol
Have started to wire the Ramps controller in but without a driven z axis I cant get any further at min
The other stl file is too large to post so have added link
https://stlfinder.comwww.stlfinder.com/model/rapman-z-drive-sprocket-pulley-without-rounding-02fxU3kW/7496612
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

SMF Gallery Random Image