Sunday,August 18, 2019, 21:01:29

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome to Printing 3d. Please login or sign up.

Sunday,August 18, 2019, 21:01:29

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
24 Jun 2019 13:02:10
Is discord playing up
Gaza07:
02 Jun 2019 10:29:04
we are back after a bad server crash
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 22:35:04
All OK now, looks like it was TalkTalk DNS servers
Bad Raven:
17 May 2019 18:06:19
Running ok here, try typing the url in stopping at the .uk
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 16:17:12
hmmm it should be fully prepegated now have you cleared your cache ? also make sure the link your using has no extra bits at the end like redirections.
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 15:36:41
mruk still saying 'Changing hosts we will be back soon !!!!'  for me?
Fingers crossed it runs sweet. Cheers
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 12:50:37
It moved yesterday afternoon just need to see how it runs and decide if its gonna stay there, I really dont want to move it again  :rolleyes:
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 11:28:52
Good luck for the mruk move.
Bad Raven:
16 May 2019 18:00:47
Cleared it.
Bad Raven:
16 May 2019 17:59:03
First try always:  Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

2nd try loads OK.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1679
  • Total Topics: 176
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 169
  • (Tuesday,October 30, 2018, 10:03:43 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 1
Total: 2

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

The ideal Travel 3D Printer

Started by 3DRev, Monday,April 09, 2018, 14:49:26

Previous topic - Next topic

3DRev

I spend a good time of the year out of the country on work. Often whilst working, I think how useful it would be to be able to design and print something on location to help with unexpected situations.

So I'm now looking into options for a portable 3D printer. Either off the shelf or self built.

Here's the priorities:

• Compact and hardy enough to be easily transported on planes

• Fairly quick

• Require fairly little maintenance

Now whist I'd much rather go with FDM for this (as I don't like the idea of flying with loads of liquids), my first impression of these requirements is SLA would be the better option to go for.

So to kick things off, can anyone think of any off the shelf options that could be worth considering?
3D Printing Tips, Tutorials and News on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/c/3DRevolution

[Props-To-You on Multi-Rotor.co.uk]

shawdreamer

Ive seen a couple of portable battery powered jobs knocking about.

didnt look to much into them as unless there using some amazing new cell technology there's no way there running a heated bed which would limit them to PLA.

alternatively Ive also seen some diy jobs that retain the "mains" powered but fold up into a nice compact package.

off the shelf theres ones like the Freaks3d printer
https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/freaks3d-portable-3d-printer-15-07-2015/

or the 3DMAXMAKER
http://3dmaxmaker.com/en/home/10-portable-3d-printer.html

diy wise there's a growing choice of "case printers"
like the TOME
https://hackaday.com/2014/07/09/thp-entry-tome-the-portable-3d-printer/

or PORTA EXPRESS
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1425444
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

3DRev

Hmm the Freaks3D seems like the most suitable for my needs out of the options (presuming the Z rail can either be quickly and easily removed, or folded down), but it's a little surprising there isn't yet any clean options for a truly portable setup.

For me, I definitely don't need a huge build area. 10cm cubed would probably do for most things I'd want to print in the field (that I'd actually have time for). Keeping the bed small also means my print times will be shorter which is good. Also, aesthetics are really not important here, though durability kind of is. As it's on the move, and I'm often working in extreme environments, I don't think the thermal requirements of ABS are really an option so I'm probably looking at PLA or PLA+ as my material if I do go down the FDM rout.

I am tempted to build my own to be honest. I could probably do without a heated bed but have never actually tried printing without one so not entirely sure what I can expect both in hot and cold conditions when printing on a passive bed.

shawdreamer

If your only stipulation is 10x10x10 build area then you could just use a HK mini fabrikator v2.

their tiny, enclosed,  and if you just run PLA you could get away with no heatbed so the current pull should be small enough to run from a car voltage inverter I reckon. :hmm:

3DRev

Quote from: shawdreamer on Monday,April 09, 2018, 20:00:05
If your only stipulation is 10x10x10 build area then you could just use a HK mini fabrikator v2.

their tiny, enclosed,  and if you just run PLA you could get away with no heatbed so the current pull should be small enough to run from a car voltage inverter I reckon. :hmm:

Ah that looks ideal!
Whats the general consensus on it? I'll have a look into it on Wednesday when I have decent internet again but do you know if generally people find it performs ok?

shawdreamer

think you'll likely get a direct answer pretty soon.... iirc Bad Raven on ere recently purchased one.

but from what Ive heard their good enough little things if all your after is small PLA bits and bobs, not 100% but the v2 might have a heatbed also but Id probably not want to try messing about with abs on something that fiddly.

Bad Raven

Bought mine to be stood alongside Laptop on worktop and to see if I liked doing it (printing, that is   :embarrassed).  It does the job pretty well, only intended for PLA according to HK, but its origin dates back to the Malyan M100.

It's robust and apart from a laptop type PSU on lead is fully aluminium cased and so strong product. HK sell spares such as belts, pulleys.

Heated bed with range ambient to 60c
Extruder to 250c

Have successfully used HK's PETG as well, and it does an OK job with good strength.

I run ESun and HK PLA at 190-195 and bed if needed at 50, they work well. Polymaker PolyPlus PLA does not work as well, tends to rough finish though strength is fine, might have a sweet spot I have not found, but I will not buy more.

Has wireless (but I have not used), SD Card (no display, it just prints file called auto.00), and USB. Mine always on USB direct from Repetier Host with Cura Slicer.

Done LOTS with mine from near 100x100x100 down to tiny 5mm. Found the black PLA bed plate pad works well (spares are packs of five) and is long lasting. Not got on with blue pads from HK.

Other people with other make printers have remarked that it's print quality is very good.  Friend also has one and has had good results, he uses his for prototyping parts for his live steam locos.

HTH, anything else ask...................
HobbyKing Fabrikator II Mini, 100x100x100. (a Malyan printer re-badged) - Modded with magnetic Flex Bed

Original Prusa i3 Mk3 (All Black)

Bad Raven

Quote from: 3DRev on Monday,April 09, 2018, 18:28:43
I could probably do without a heated bed but have never actually tried printing without one so not entirely sure what I can expect both in hot and cold conditions when printing on a passive bed.

BED HEAT OR NOT

I have found with my Fab II Mini that small or at least not tall PLA items are often fine with no heat, bed at ambient 17c or so, extruder 190-195, fan ON.

Where bed heat has been required is on larger/taller items where the print process can put sufficient side loading on to break the bed seal.  This releasing reduces as the black PLA bed surface gets smoother and loses its texture finish, eventually to reach a point where releasing items gets a little tricky, but that is after many prints.
HobbyKing Fabrikator II Mini, 100x100x100. (a Malyan printer re-badged) - Modded with magnetic Flex Bed

Original Prusa i3 Mk3 (All Black)

Gaza07

Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

Multi-Rotor UK  YouTube  Thingiverse  3d-Printworx